Saturday 6 February 2016

Malaysian Mensa: High IQ Society

Pernah tak korang gatai sangat nak cuba benda yang korang rasa tak layak tapi sebab nama pun gatai korang cuba jugak? Haha.. Alhamdulillah mine turned out well...


I took an IQ test purely out of curiosity, passed, and got invited to join the Mensa club. Bila fikir balik, nak tergelak pun ada.. 

It started when I saw a job posting on Jobstreet with a description that caught my attention:

“Member of the Mensa society is an added advantage”... Or something like that lah.

And I was like.. Mensa? Apa tu?

Turns out it is a high IQ society for... Well, high IQ people. More specifically, it is a club for those who are within the 2% of the population in an IQ test by the ISP.

(Geniuses are within top 0.5%)

I don’t know about you but I find that very intriguing.

So I thought, oh heck, what is there to lose? Answer: RM50 non-refundable registration fee. >:( Nak sedapkan hati kita panggil dia 'investment’ la okkk... huhuhu
.
.
Came 13 December I drove to Eye Level SS2 where the test took place. It is situated in a shop lot next to SS2 police station, about 2 blocks from the popular Murni.

Test was at 2 pm. I arrived at 1.35 pm. There was another person waiting in the exam room before me. A lady, whom I assume is the test administrator, asked us if we want to go ahead with the test. I looked at him, he looked at me (no attraction there, people. Behave.) and we agreed to just get over with it as quickly as possible.

Quick is an understatement. 40 minutes passed by so fast the next thing we knew the timer went off.

Honestly speaking I wasn’t that confident on passing the test. I started to get confused midway and randomly guessed a handful of questions. Whatever lah... Janji ditepati PASS! 

So for those of you interested in taking the test too, here're a few things you should know:
  • The test is culture-fair based. Meaning all questions are pattern recognition and no language or math knowledge required (YAY!)
  • 36 questions, 8 possible answers, 40 minutes. That's 66 seconds for 1 question. Not much time but doable.
  • Tests are held every second Sunday of the month. In my case, it was on the 13th December 2015.
  • Bring your IC with you. No IC no take.
  • Pencils, erasers and scrap papers will be provided (in abundance!)
  • There are several test centers in Malaysia. So you don't have to come to its HQ in SS2 if you're not in the Klang Valley
  • Registration is to be done online together with a RM50 non-refundable registration fee
  • Taking the test does not guarantee your entrance into the society. You MUST pass to get an invitation!
  • If you fail, you may retake the test after 12 months
  • Results will be mailed to you in 6-8 weeks. If you pass, there will be a form attached to the letter to sign up as a member. You can also do it online.
  • Membership is RM80 for one year. Additional RM25 if you want the certificate. 

Tips for taking the test:
  • Practice makes perfect. Search for free IQ tests online and practice! I practiced HERE. But you can also try this, this, and this.
  • Arrive early. It's always best to do it with a relaxed mind
  • Don't dwell too much on the first 10 questions. Questions get harder as the test progresses. So don't waste time. Besides, you can always go back if you have time.
More info visit mensa.my or its Facebook page.

I can't comment on the Mensa society itself as I'm just a newbie. Not much mentioned online either. Anyone a Mensa member reading this can comment? Else, gimme a year, ait?

6 comments:

  1. Hello, I'm planning to join Mensa Malaysia too, soon. But my story starts because I'm specifically looking for society/groups like Mensa.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ummm...im interested in taking the test,where can i take the test?i live in kelantan

    ReplyDelete
  3. As salam cik Aida...for how long have been you practise the IQ exercise before seat for the test and success?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Waalaikumsalam Encik Zulkefli.. It took me about two weeks I think to be confident with my speed. But it also depends on individuals. I enjoy doing pattern recognition games on a regular basis so I was already familiar with the questions. If you're not you may have to give yourself more time..

      Delete
  4. I read this post and this is very informative blog . Thank you for sharing such like of information.for more information about this you can also visit our site.
    https://blog.mindvalley.com/highest-iq-possible/

    ReplyDelete
  5. You write every blog post so well. Keep the hard work going and good luck.
    https://blog.mindvalley.com/genius-club/

    ReplyDelete